Based on the reports released on Saturday, the Chinese dismantled CIA spying operations in the country starting in 2010, and killed or imprisoned at least a dozen of CIA agents over the next two years.
The New York Times cited anonymous current and former U.S. officials who said the intelligence breach one of the worst in decades.
One CIA source was allegedly shot in front of his colleagues in the courtyard of a government building. Some presumed that there was a mole within the CIA, while others believed the Chinese authorities had hacked he covert system the CIA used to communicate with its foreign sources.
The Times had also reported that over 20 CIA sources were killed or imprisoned in China over a two year period, but the CIA to comment to the Times and to the Associated Press. The CIA also did not comment the NYT report.
Some within the FBI reportedly suspected that inadequate work by CIA handlers in Beijing might have been to blame for the security breach and subsequent losses. The anonymous U.S. officials said that a restaurant used for meetings with CIA sources had been fitted with bugging devices and staffed with waiters who were Chinese agents.
It is unlikely that both the CIA and the FBI will ever confirm the reports.
Source: The Guardian