One of the main suspects for Thursday Barcelona van attack, Moussa Oukabir, has been killed in a police operation in the town of Cambrils, Catalan police said. Oukabir, identified as one the perpetrators of the attack, has been killed together with four other suspects.
Oukabir, a Spanish citizen from the town of Girona, north of Barcelona, was named a chief suspect for yesterday’s bloody attack in Barcelona when a white van drove into crowds in popular La Rambla street, killing 13 and injuring more than 100 people.
In a dramatic operation that lasted well into the night, Catalan police chased and killed five terrorists, and prevented another attack. Most of the suspects were Moroccan, and the police said they had been planning more attacks.
On Wednesday, an explosion in Alcadar, another town near Barcelona, killed 1 and injured 16, with the police saying that the incident was linked with the subsequent van attack.
Catalan police told local media that Said Aallaa and Mohamed Hychami, who were already put on a wanted poster, were also shot dead in Cambrils. The fourth suspect, Younes Abouyaaqoub, is still at large.
The police said that the group planned more deadly attacks in Barcelona, and that their aim was to ‘kill as many people as possible’. According to authorities, the explosion in Alcadar disrupted the terrorist’ plans.
“The explosion in Alcanar meant they no longer had the necessary material to plan larger-scale attacks in Barcelona,” said a police source. “They were probably trying to carry out a different kind of attack.
There is yet little information about Moussa Oukabir, and he is presumed to have turned 18 recently. His brother, Driss, was arrested on Thursday, on suspicion of hiring the van that was used in the attack. However, he denied any involvement in the bloody rampage, and said his documents were stolen before being used to rent the van.
Source: BBC News