According to Devin Nunes, (R-CA), the four page FISA memo released earlier on Friday was just step one in House Intelligence Committee investigation. Phase two is soon to come, and this time the Justice Department will be targeted for its involvement in FISA related surveillance abuses. Devin Nunes was quoted as saying:
“We are in the middle of what I call phase two of our investigation, which involves other departments, specifically the State Department and some of the involvement that they had in this. That investigation is ongoing and we continue work towards finding answers and asking the right questions to try to get to the bottom of what exactly the State Department was up to in terms of this Russia investigation.”
Here’s a video for your viewing pleasure, just click the link in the tweet:
#BREAKING: Devin Nunes says this is just the first memo to be released. He says there will be another one dealing specifically with the State Department’s role in everything that happened. pic.twitter.com/kpHVDQ44WX
— Ryan Saavedra 🇺🇸 (@RealSaavedra) February 3, 2018
Now, even if it’s not very clear at the moment what role Obama’s Department of Justice had with regard to surveillance abuses, according to an article in the Washington Examiner from January, the so-called dossier creator, former British spy and rabid anti Trumper Christopher Steele was well connected with the State Department during Obama era. The entire interview with Devin Nunes can be watched here:
It will be interesting to see how Rex Tillerson’s State Department will react to phase-two.