Second Go: New Travel Ban Targets Same Seven Countries, Exempts Green Card Holders

The order could be announced anytime this week.

New travel ban by President Trump will target the same seven countries in his original executive order, but travelers possessing a valid visa would be exempted from the order; they will be allowed to travel to the U.S., even if they haven’t used their visa yet.

A senior White House official told Fox News that the order would focus on the same seven Muslim-majority countries, Iran, Iraq, Somalia, Sudan, Libya, Syrian, and Yemen.

Trump was forced to come up with a new executive order after federal courts held up his original order. According to the official, the order could be announced anytime this week.

Green card holders and dual citizens of any of those countries would be exempted, and the new draft would also direct authorities not to single our Syrian refugees when processing new visa applications.

Sarah Huckabee Sanders, White House Spokeswoman, also said that the version being circulated was a draft and the final version would be released soon. Wall Street Journal also reported that the new draft exempted green card holders.

The original travel ban by Trump was enforced hastily at the end of his first week in office; it sparked nationwide protests and chaos at airports, as U.S. permanent residents from these countries were barred from entering into the U.S.

Even if the new order doesn’t directly affect Syrian refugees, the pace at which refugees entering the U.S. will drop significantly.  The court’s ruling didn’t affect one part of Trump’s executive order; the cap of 50,000 refugees to be taken in the current fiscal year, the number came down from the set 110,000 under his predecessor, Barack Obama.

35,000 refugees had already entered U.S., so only 15,000 more will enter in the current fiscal year which means that the number of new refugees entering the U.S. per week is going to drop significantly.

9th Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco refused to reinstate Trump’s travel ban, challenging his presidential authority, which prompted Trump to say “SEE YOU IN COURT,” and Trump has since then lashed out the judicial branch accusing it of issuing a politically motivated decision.

John Kelly, Homeland Security Secretary while speaking at the Munich Security Conference about combating terrorism, said that Trump was working on a “streamlined” version of the original executive order. Here’s what he said:

“Trump’s original order was designed as a temporary pause to allow him to see where our immigration and vetting system has gaps — and gaps it has — that could be exploited.”

He stated that the Trump administration was surprised when the U.S. courts blocked President’s executive order and he was now contemplating on releasing a more tightened and streamlined version.

He also added that the administration would make sure that there is “no one caught in the system of moving from overseas to our airports” next time.

While addressing, Kelly used the word “seven nations” on Saturday again, which raised speculation that the new executive order will target all the seven countries.